2 an act so striking or impressive that the show must be delayed until the audience quiets down [syn: show-stopper, showstopper]
3 a remark to which there is no polite conversational reply [syn: conversation stopper]
4 (bridge) a playing card with a value sufficiently high to insure taking a trick in a particular suit; "if my partner has a spade stopper I can bid no trump" v : close or secure with or as if with a stopper; "She stoppered the wine bottle"; "The mothers stoppered their babies' mouths with pacifiers" [syn: stopple]
- Rhymes with: -ɒpə(r)
- A type of knot at the
end of a rope, to prevent it from unravelling
- Put a stopper in the knot.
- A bung or cork
- We need a stopper or the boat will sink.
- slang soccer goalkeeper
- He's the number one stopper in the country.
- In the context of "finance|slang": In the commodity futures
market, someone who is long (owns) a futures contract and is
demanding delivery because they want to take possession of the
- Cattle futures: spillover momentum plus evidence of a strong stopper (i.e., 96 loads demanded) should kick the opening higher.
- a train that calls at all or almost all stations between its origin and destination, including very small ones
- To close by using a stopper
- stop (device to block path)
- To stop
- il faut stopper cette hostilité permanente
- This permanent hostility must be stopped.
The term stopper may refer to one of the following:
- Stopper (knot), a type of a knot at the end of the rope.
- Stopper (plug), also known as a cork, a plug or a bung used to temporarily seal a bottle opening.
- Stopper (football magazine).
- a center fullback in soccer. See Defender (football).
- The Milkor Stopper 37/38 mm riot gun.
- in whitewater kayaking, another name for holes. See Whitewater holes
- a term used in the game of bridge. See Contract bridge glossary.
- an illustrative information mini-bloc. See Stopper.ru or Стоппер (значения).
stopper in Japanese: ストッパー
stopper in Russian: Стоппер
KO, bar, bind, block, block up, blockade, bonnet, bung, cap, caulk, ceil, check valve, chink, choke, choke off, choke up, clincher, clog, clog up, close, cock, coif, congest, constipate, cork, cover, crown, crusher, dam, dam up, death stroke, deathblow, dome, end-all, ender, faucet, fill, fill up, final stroke, finisher, finishing stroke, foul, hat, hood, jam, kayo, kayo punch, knockout, knockout blow, last dab, lid, obstipate, obstruct, occlude, operculum, pack, peg, pin, plug, plug up, quietus, roof, roof in, sea cock, settler, sockdolager, spigot, spike, spile, spill, stanch, stay, stench, stop, stop up, stopgap, stopple, stuff, stuff up, tap, tip, top, valve